Be Prepared for Hurricane Season with FDOT’s 511May 30, 2014
The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) encourages Florida residents to prepare for the 2014 hurricane season by adding its toll-free 511 Traveler Information System to emergency plans. The Florida 511 system provides updates on major bridge and road closures, toll suspensions and evacuation routes before, during and after hurricanes and other severe weather.
“We encourage everyone to avoid driving during a hurricane unless absolutely necessary,” said Sgt. Kim Montes of the Florida Highway Patrol. “But if your area is being evacuated or you need to drive due to an emergency, we advise drivers to check 511 before leaving home.”
There are four convenient ways for motorists to receive traffic updates:
- Call 511 toll free for updates in English and Spanish.
- Visit FL511.com for interactive roadway maps showing traffic congestion and crashes, travel times and traffic camera views.
- Download the free Florida 511 mobile app available on Google Play and iTunes.
- Follow one of the 12 statewide, regional or roadway-specific feeds on Twitter.
The 511 system provides up-to-the-minute coverage on all of Florida’s interstates, toll roads and other major metropolitan roadways. In times of emergencies, the system also is updated with alerts on roadways not typically covered.
FDOT reminds all travelers to check 511 before hitting the road, have a passenger check 511 while driving or pull over to avoid distracted driving.
Traffic Updates on Twitter
For traffic updates via Twitter, FDOT encourages travelers to follow the Florida 511 Twitter feeds:
- Call 511 before driving or have a passenger call to avoid using a phone while driving.
- Customize your trip at FL511.com before leaving to minimize time spent on the phone.
- Drive slowly and turn on your lights in low visibility conditions including rain.
- Follow instructions by local officials and law enforcement during evacuations.
- Always wear a safety belt.
- Don’t drink and drive.
Florida 511 Features
- Traffic information on all interstate highways, toll roads and many other metropolitan roadways.
- Commuter travel times and reports on crashes, congestion and construction.
- Public transit, airport and seaport information.
- AMBER, Silver and Blue Alerts (America’s Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response (AMBER) Alerts notify the public of the most serious child-abduction cases. Silver Alerts notify the public when law enforcement agencies are searching for missing adults or citizens with cognitive impairments, including Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia. Blue Alerts notify the public when law enforcement officers are searching for an offender(s) who has seriously injured or killed a law enforcement officer.)
- FL511.com provides travel information, traffic camera views and free personalized services, including customized travel routes and email, text and phone call alerts.
- Voice-activated and touch-tone navigation available when calling 511.
- The 511 phone call and FL511.com website are available in English and Spanish.
Consistent, Predictable, Repeatable